This week has been a bust for knitting activity. In fact, all crafting activity has pretty much come to a screeching halt. It’s just too hot. Plus, my top I’m sewing isn’t going well, and it’s just too damn hot upstairs to do more ten minutes at a time. I think it’s hot down here until I go up there and get reminded that it could be much, much worse.
Anywho.. I did actually start a new project this week, but it’s been knitted and frogged all in the same week! I started some Monkey Socks. At first I was proud of myself — the 64 stitch width as described in the pattern was too small for my calves of heroic proportions, so I did some thinking and decided to enlarge each pattern repeat by four, thereby casting on 80 stitches. This worked beautifully, fit well, etc. Then I thought that would be too loose for the ankle, so I decreased back down to 64, did the heel flaps (I get an inordinate amount of joy from heel flaps) and then kept going with 64. Which was, of course, too small. I think, it’s hard to tell sometimes. I still think 80 will be too big though, so I think I have to do some finagling to make the number across the heel flap be 32 and the front to be 40. Ugh. Can’t talk about math anymore.
Unfortunately then I started checking out other people’s monkey socks on Ravelry, and wouldn’t you know it, I was doing the lace pattern wrong anyway. Dammit. So I frogged the whole thing. On the bright side, the yarn is lurvely — it’s my first Socks That Rock! Unfortunately (again) I got the lightweight because so far I like my socks knit on size 1, I love the tight fabric it creates. But the monkey pattern calls for size 2 yarn. Dammit again. Why I didn’t look that up to begin with I have no idea. So now I don’t know if I should persevere, or save this yarn for another pattern. Sigh.
On another bright side, I got my size 2 needles so I’m going to start the Sidewinders again. As soon as I’m done with the other thing I just cast on for, but that’s a surprise so I can’t talk about it too much 🙂