Last night I did something cool. I did my first ever “bust shaping” on my CPH.
Like Megan suggested, I am now working on one of the fronts and letting the back go on a mini-vacation. I wanted to do some bust shaping because a) I read about it in Big Girl Knits (BGK) and b) I hate how my clothes ride up in the front due to the boobage. So I plugged my numbers into the BGK recipe and did some short rows. (I found a tutorial on knitty in case you’re curious what I’m talking about. I’ll have to read it later to see if I’m interpreting the BGK book incorrectly!)
I am not sure if I did it right. To be honest the recipe is lacking in a few areas — like which way to round if you don’t have whole numbers. However, as my measuring is usually dodgy, I erred on doing fewer rather than more rows and so far I’m liking the result. I may have to rip it and do it again once I’ve finished the front and pinned it on. But so far it’s looking good and I’m quite excited. A sweater that fits! Hurrah!
Of course to see if it really fits I’ll have to finish the back and pin everything together. Seeing as this will be the third time completing the back (with more short rows for the shoulder shaping, I should be ace at those by the time I’m actually done), it ought to go pretty quickly.
I was going to do both fronts at the same time seeing as I’m not very good at making separate pieces match, but I didn’t want to mess with ripping out two pieces as I assumed I’d be doing a little ripping to get things to fit. So I’m only doing the one. However I’m using a row counter, which is also something I’ve never done before, and keeping meticulous notes about when I do things. Should make it easier to make things match. I will probably do the sleeves together though.
Wish me luck!